Wednesday, March 10, 2010

DIY Wednesday: Make a foam core jewelry bust


Today's DIY project is a knockoff of a knockoff. I love all things second hand, including ideas.


The project was originally inspired by this jewelry display idea from the now defunct Blueprint magazine. A real bust will run you $100 or more.

Kate Pruitt, an artist who blogs at Design*Sponge came up with the brilliant idea of making a two-dimensional DIY jewelry bust from wood. Hers cost about $10 and required the use of an actual jigsaw.

I used Kate's template, posted here on Design*Sponge, and made one out of foam core board. Total cost: $1.

The complete foam core how-to and an easy template for making an easel are posted here.


Now I have a place to display my five-pound bib necklace.

7 comments:

  1. You are such a smartie! I remember seeing this on Design Sponge and bookmarked it but never really thought I'd be able to do it because of the Jigsaw requirement! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks great! I'm so impressed at the amount of detail you managed to work into the silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I think I'd also wallpaper the foam core or something...but I can't resist adding a bit of color and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fantastic idea! i'm preparing for a craft show and some busts would be great...

    ReplyDelete