Friday, December 13, 2013

My DIY 10-minute emerald necklace


Here's another simple rhinestone project with dramatic results.


To make this necklace, you'll need chunky chain, jewelry wire and a strand of 13 x 8mm rhinestone slider beads.

I used a chain I had on hand that I picked up at a thrift store. My slider beads are from Consumer Crafts and were on sale for $1.27 at the time, so I made this necklace for less than $1.50.

After a lot of trial and error and floppy beads, I finally figured out that you have to wire the beads to each other before attaching to the chain.


Take your beads off the plastic thread and re-thread using jewelry wire. I used 13 beads but you can make yours any size you want.


Find the center point of your chain and mark it.


Line up your beads so they are centered on your chain.

 Wire wrap the center bead through the links of the chain. (You can also use large jump rings.)


Working from the center of the chain outward, skip two beads and wire the next one. Then wire the last bead on each end of the bead strand.

Trim your wire and tuck under any loose strands.

You're done. Enjoy your super cheap, easy and sparkly necklace.

For an even easier necklace, see my DIY multicolor rhinestone necklace from a few weeks ago.


4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you can do this in 10 min. This is so pretty and the perfect gift. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great necklace, the emerald color is season perfect! Your "light bulb" moment about wiring the gems together before attaching to the chain became my "light bulb" moment for how to repair a necklace that drives me crazy by several of the center "gems" flipping over and displaying their plain underside. Totally makes me look like I'm 5 and disheveled. Upon inspection I noticed the connection between those gems had broken. Easy fix once I understood the problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Ideas... I will also share this to my friends. Thanks a thousand times for the great ideas.
    Emerald Beads Supplier

    ReplyDelete