Friday, July 20, 2012

My DIY batik pillow



Don't get too excited. I did not actually dye the pillow. (I have friends from Indonesia who just assumed I had.)

Nope. This is a very American DIY. Cheap. Fast. Easy.

I've been mooning over sea blue batik for awhile but never pulled the trigger on buying fabric. Then I came across this little top at a thrift store. Awesome color. Really unattractive ruffled straps.



I chopped off those straps, turned the shirt inside out and slid in an old thrift store pillow. I did a quick pin fit along one end of the pillow.


I marked my pin line with washable marker using a high-end magazine as a straight edge. I sewed one end on the sewing machine, turned the pillow cover right side out, slid it over the pillow and hand stitched the other end closed. (You could do this whole pillow without a sewing machine since it only requires two seams.)


Here it is for less than a buck.



My apologies to Indonesians everywhere.

p.s. Don't forget my $60 worth of Mod Podge products giveaway if you have not already entered..

8 comments:

  1. Cute! I love what you have framed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't need to dye the fabric yourself to be able to say that you made a great batik pillow ;) Love those cobalt and turquoise shades in the fabric. Looks great on the white sofa.

    Robin
    happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colour Bromeliad! Way to go!!Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Talk about skill. That took some creative know-how to turn that shirt into a pillow. Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great. Pillows are such fun diy pieces since they are so easy.

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect find that shirt was. Love those shades of blue and green. Such a perfect pillow for your all-white sofa.
    xx
    maya

    ReplyDelete