Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My DIY: Shorten the sleeves of a sweater


A carmel-y camel-y beige has become my new go-to neutral, but my only beige cardigan (thrifted) had sleeves that hung down like ape arms.

I finally decided to be brave and hack into the world of sleeves.

I have to thank Carly Cais of Chic Steals for her tutorial on how to fit sleeves. I would have never figured out the whole right side out/inside out stuff without her.


First measure from the end of your sleeve to where you want your new length to be. My sleeves were more than three inches too long.


Remove the sleeves and measure down that same distance on the other end of the sleeve and mark. Do this on the outside of the sleeve. (Note: That's your sew line, not your cut line. Leave yourself a seam allowance if you need to cut off excess fabric.)


Since your new shorter sleeve will be a little bit narrower at the arm hole than your old sleeve, you'll need to take in the sides of the sweater a bit. To do this, I try it on inside out and pin fit.


Sew up the sides. Then leaving the body of the sweater inside out, slide in your sleeve right side out.


Match up the bottom seam of your sleeve with the side seam of the sweater and pin. Then sew on the sleeves.


Stay warm and try not to pack on too many pounds this winter now that your sweater is fitted.

5 comments:

  1. I GOT the necklace...thank you SO much. I love it..so do my kids;-)

    Hope you had a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sweater color is awesome on you. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, beautiful!! Great job. Loving what you did to your thrifted camel.
    I got your package today. Thanks so much. I can't wait to get started.. already know what I'm doing. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH.
    xx
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Looks perfect to me! Hope you had a great Christmas.
    Bea

    ReplyDelete