Friday, April 22, 2011

My DIY: Big Long Island map collage


Finally, my map project, inspired by map art featured in my March Inspired blog party.

Although this comes as a shock to many Brooklynites, we actually live on Long Island here. I wanted a big nautical somewhat vintage looking map of Long Island to fill the huge wall space above our huge sofa.

Inspired by this from House Beautiful.


And this from Amanda Nisbet.


But it's not an easy thing to find a big map that can be blown up to 40 by 60 inches without looking grainy. So I made my own by tracing over a Google map in Photoshop.



I added fake details like a scale and I hand drew a compass based off the one in the House Beautiful mural.

I had a sign shop print the whole thing out on plain paper, then I cut it into six sections and framed it with IKEA Ribba shadowbox frames.

If you'd like to make this project, I've uploaded my map at examiner.com, which you can have printed from PDF.


Mr. Bromeliad, the true talent in our household, pointed out that six frames hung closely together were always going to be slightly crooked. He recommended attaching the frames together with silicon glue (which could be cut through to separate the frames later if needed) and two lightweight removable metal bars.

Here he is using a city person's sawhorse for his drilling.


And a city person's workbench for the attaching.


The only bad thing is now the couch looks even more cruddy when seen next to shiny new art.


What have you been making lately? Link up at this month's Inspired blog party.

11 comments:

  1. it looks awesome. i love that you chose simple black and white. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Such a beautiful piece of DIY art..way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Mr. B is sitting in a comfortable city person's armchair with a city person's beer by his side to accept my warmest countrywoman's congratulations for his ingenuity and craftsmanship. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very inspired and personal piece of art. Wonderful. Nicolex

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing-what a great diy-may need to do that for a client's house sometime soon!-thanks for sharing- Tanya
    www.stylestudiollc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it!!! we have a wall of maps. big ones of the county, the city, voting districts, etc. i just stapled them to the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your sofa and think its all looks great together! Your husband was smart in what he did. I should have done it myself, making frames look good in a group is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that you did it in multiple frames!! So interesting that its broken up, but still one image.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So creative! Where do you come up with these ideas? I wish our art wall of pics would stay straight - and know I know why. Thanks Mr. B!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab. And full points to Mr B for helping them hang so beautifully straight!

    ReplyDelete