Wednesday, September 9, 2009

DIY Wednesday: Pouf baby - the Moroccan pouf revisited



A few weeks back I posted about how to make a Moroccan pouf out of the world's ugliest party dress. In the interests of full disclosure, I pointed out that my end result was bigger and heavier than expected.

So, I followed my own instructions for a smaller pouf and took the big one apart, cut it down and resewed with my new dimensions.

Also, to battle pouf cellulite, I got two scrap pieces of 1/2 inch foam for $2.50 to line the sides of the pouf. This can be helpful even for a store-bought pouf, since they usually arrive unstuffed.


You may also recall that I've been in the market for a Moroccan tray to top off my pouf. I couldn't bring myself to spend $50 to $100 to accessorize something I made almost for free. A week later, I found a cheapo aluminum tray that was about to be tossed. So it's not a classy Le Souk item, but it'll work until I make a pilgrimage to Morocco and buy straight from the source.

It's actually sort of eerie how very specific free stuff shows up right about the time you need it



Last is an inspiration pouf by way of Viva Terra, the eco-friendly retailer. It's made from embroidered silk, but can't you just see a couple of party dresses here?


10 comments:

  1. Poof cellulite. That's funny! Your pouf tutorial is still on my list of things I plan to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! I love the idea of using the foam - it really steps it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the foam idea is genius! I love your poofs-- I can't wait until the construction zone I'm living in leaves and I can make one (or three...)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I only wish I had time to make one.
    The tray is a perfect fit, and I bet no one ever notices it's not straight out of the Souk :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice refinement of the original. And your poufs are much nicer than the Viva Terra, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks. And a lot cheaper. Viva Terra's is about $140.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this! I have a pattern for Tunisian crocheting one! We could start a new craze! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. A crochet pouf would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been really wanting to make a pouf- this is great!

    ReplyDelete