Friday, February 20, 2009

DIY recovery: Bad art, good location

Early in my DIY career, I tried to create my own abstract art. I was hoping for something cool like this:


Or this:


How hard can it be, right? I made my own canvas with a homemade wood frame and free fabric. I used acrylic paint and watered-down Elmer's glue as a substitute for gesso.


I hung it proudly for a few weeks and finally replaced it with a mirror after too many friends asked why I hadn't finished it. Also, to be quite frank, it was really bad.


The other day I went looking for it intending to recover the frame with my all-purpose free white vinyl and draw something like this with a marker:


But once up on the wall, it didn't look so bad. If I'm wrong about this, don't tell me.

4 comments:

  1. I like it! Also, really like the new blog header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally diggin how this looks...It looks finished to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hung portrait, it looked sad and underworked. Hung landscape, it totally works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE this, it have given me some inspiration of my own.

    ReplyDelete