Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The vintage pin collection


A few weeks ago, my family got together to go through some of my grandmother's things. Part of her jewelry collection included dozens and dozens of pins, most of which were still left over after all of the children and grandchildren picked out momentos for themselves.

I don't wear pins. But they looked so pretty all together, I couldn't leave them for strangers. So, on impulse I took the whole pile of them, thinking I'd figure out some way to put them to use.


There were a series of turtles (also butterflies and an enormous collection of ballerinas.)


There was also a collection of cameo pins. Above is one of my favorites.



Unique little items like this pair of crabs. (The claws move.)

And a few of my favorite individual pins below (although I liked them all.)



I've come up with a couple of ideas of what to do with this unique inheritance - one of which I'll show you next week.

What would you do with all of these pins?

Have you ever inherited something that means a lot to you? What did you do with it?

18 comments:

  1. I love pins, always have, and wear them. Those turtles have me swooning and I think they would look great mounted in a relatively shallow shadowbox with a contrasting background. I've kept almost everything I've inherited from my beloved Granny and it's pretty much all displayed, used or worn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these... especially the turtles, and oh... the adorable crabs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing collection! I love pins on curtains, shoes, or purses. Whatever you choose, I doubt you'll ever regret deciding to keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They'd look super pinned to a pair of heavy plain white or ivory curtains, randomly or in a line along both inner edges, as though they were a trim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a shadowbox is a lovely idea but you can also turn these lovelies into other jewelery you would wear, like earrings, rings, necklaces - or even shoes clips! Those crabs would make some fabulous shoe clips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great family memento that you'll be able to pass down to your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What strikes me is what incredible taste your grandmother had! These are all worth displaying, especially as they have sentimental value. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with them...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing collection - the crabs are just fantastic. I hope you think of some lovely ways to use them - I'd be inclined to pin them on pillows perhaps. Lookin forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are wonderful. You could clip them on curtains to display them.

    I would probably keep them all in a box, and when I was looking for something else, come across the box, take it onto the bed, cuddle up and look at all of them, one by one.

    And I would, of course, wear them.

    --jm

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they would look great mounted in a relatively shallow shadowbox with a contrasting background.
    wagyu steak

    ReplyDelete
  11. What lovely little pins!

    My grandmother has a brooch and eyeglasses from her mother which are pinned to a board covered in padded velvet inside a small ornate frame.

    I really like what you did with the silver ones!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a amazing collection. I love all pins especially the turtles and last one cute cat. Owl pin is also too good. The pins looks good on purses and curtains. Recently I bought some stylish pins for my yellow color curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow!!! I'm sure you'll treasure these. Turtles are so cute!
    xx
    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you understand the value of some of these items in their own right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really check it out before deciding what to do with each item. Some are quite valuable.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I have kept them all and they are displayed on a board in my closet.

      Delete
  15. You should really check it out before deciding what to do with each item. Some are quite valuable.

    ReplyDelete